Who is Dorian Hunter?
Dorian Hunter from Georgia, United States, created history when she was crowned the ultimate champion of MasterChef US Season 10. She became the first ever African-American female chef to clinch the title. During her marvelous run in the highly competitive cooking competition, she impressed the judges by plating delectable dishes on every challenge, some of which we've added on the Nymble menu. The Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is one of them – a rich, savory but humble pasta dish that will mesmerize your taste buds.
Dorian Hunter specializes in Southern style of cooking and her cooking philosophy is all about elevating Southern food and cooking techniques. In a previous interview with Nymble, she had this to say about how Southern cuisine has evolved over the years:
“..When you think of Southern cuisine in the past, and maybe some still do, you look at that plate and all the food is piled up on it. No rhyme or reason. It's just a bunch of food on the plate. But now you see that becoming more streamlined. And that's where I come in. Chefs like me and my contemporaries, we're going to streamline this. I'm still going to give you that take off your shoe feeling. But I'm going to present this food in a more respectable way..”
To read the full interview of Dorian Hunter, go to - StarChef Stories: QnA with Dorian Hunter
Her take on the Cajun Chicken Pasta is unique because it lends from the country-style of cooking – the type of cooking she grew up with, but also takes influences from other European styles. But one thing is for certain, regardless of how Dorian Hunter cooks her magical recipes, or the inspirations she relies on; she makes food for the soul – which is always delicious and truly satisfies one’s cravings.
Nymble X Dorian Hunter Recipe Collaboration
We had an incredible opportunity to collaborate with the MasterChef herself over a period of a few weeks. These months included great learning experiences and co-creations of some of her famous recipes. Here’s a video from when our cooking robot made Dorian Hunter’s Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta:
Go to the Nymble X Dorian Hunter collaboration to check out our more recipe co-creations!
How to make Chef Dorian Hunter’s Cajun Chicken Pasta?
Having a cooking robot make MasterChef signature dishes for you is pretty awesome, yes. But even without one, you can make a delicious plate of Cajun Chicken Pasta for with a few simple tips.
Read the recipe walkthrough of the Chef Dorian Hunter’s Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta (for 2 servings):
Prep Time - 20 mins
Cook Time - 20 mins
Total Time - 40 mins
Penne - 120 grams
Boneless Chicken Breast - 220 grams
Red Onion - 30 grams
Garlic - 4 1/2 teaspoons
Red Bell Pepper - 50 grams
Yellow Bell Pepper - 50 grams
Canned Crushed Tomato - 100 grams
Heavy Dairy Cream - 50 grams
Fresh Parsley - 8 Sprigs
Black Pepper Powder
- Get a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, for 8 to 10 minutes. Then, drain the water.
- Cut chicken breast into strips. Place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a plastic bag. Shake to coat it well.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat or alternatively use olive oil. Add chicken and cook, keep stirring until browned and almost cooked through, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and red onion. Continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring down the heat and stir in the heavy dairy cream. After the creamy has mixed thoroughly, put in basil, parsley, lemon pepper, salt, garlic, and black pepper. The, increase the heat it up a notch. Add the cooked pasta, toss them well, and heat through.
- Lastly, sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese and serve.